Pilates & Garuda
Pilates is a system of over 500 controlled exercises that engage the mind and condition the whole body through smooth, continuous motion, with a particular concentration on engaging and stabilizing the abdomen, back and pelvis. Pilates focuses on quality of movement rather than quantity, which makes one feel invigorated rather than exhausted after a session.
Garuda inspires a more intuitive way to exercise the body and create greater ease of movement by incorporating movement from Pilates, Yoga and dance. It has all the benefits of a cardiovascular workout while stretching the mind and the body.
Who is Joseph Pilates?
Joseph Pilates developed his revolutionary exercise program during World War I, when he was a nurse at a prisoner-of-war camp. By experimenting with the springs on hospital beds, Pilates created a system of muscle movement and resistance that helped speed the recovery of injured soldiers.
After the war, Joseph Pilates moved to the United States and devised a series of exercises and training techniques and engineered all the equipment, specifications and tuning required teaching his methods properly. He called this “a complete coordination of body, mind and spirit.”
What are the benefits of Pilates?
- Toning muscles without bulk
- Improved balance, strength & flexibility
- Heighten movement awareness
- Improve your posture
- Increase core strength and stability
- Promote recovery from injury and prevent re-injury
- Reduce stress, relieve tension and boost energy
- Improve the way your body looks and feels
Who should do Pilates?
Pilates is for everyone: All ages, physical abilities and fitness levels.
At Neurocore, we offer individualized programs for those new to fitness as well as challenging workouts for competitive athletes. Anyone interested in a unique exercise regime that requires tuning into your body, improving your movement awareness and exploring your movement potential while placing low stress on the body
What educational training do your instructors have?
Our instructors are certified through Stott Pilates or Body Harmonics. All instructors are also Registered Physiotherapists or Physiotherapy Assistants.
Can I do Pilates if I have a disability?
Yes! Joseph Pilates developed hundreds of exercises. Our Certified Instructors and Physiotherapists further personalize repertoires specifically for you.
What equipment is used in Pilates?
- Mat work – whereby you are guided through a series of movements and postures using a thick foamy Pilates Mat and additional props as needed.
- Reformer & Tower– A movable platform along with adjustable springs and straps allows you to explore Pilates in sitting, standing, laying on your back or stomach. Please refer to Equipment for more detail.
- Stability Chair– offers precise activation of muscle groups in multiple postures.
- Arc Barrel & Spine Corrector– allows ideal spinal support and is portable for smooth transition to home exercise programs.
What is the Garuda Method
In Indian Mythology, the GARUDA is a large bird that changes its shape according to its function. The Garuda Method is a hybrid practice that encompasses three philosophies:
1) Principles of Pilates
2) Breath work and asana practices of Yoga
3) Grace and athleticism of Dance & Martial Arts
What does a Garuda session consist of?
- A series of creative movement patterns that are smooth and seamless
- Exercises which work several areas of the body simultaneously
- Routines which range from beginner/elementary to advanced
- Movements that encompass flexibility, cardio and strength without straining the body
James D’Silva (Creator of Garuda) Philosophy:
“Garuda creates a sense of who you are, what you are capable of and most importantly provides the key to becoming who you want to be within your body”
“Life is a constant spiral. You always have to re-evaluate. But people tend to fall into a routine, the mind tricks you that you are doing alright. Change is very important to challenge yourself”
“Your workout should be a whole mind, body, spirit experience. What is your soul getting out of this? It’s all about making people aware that their movement has to be mindful, and bringing the awareness into people’s lives”
Your Health Starts Here
Thank you for entrusting us with your care.
Come on In
Mon: 8:00am - 7:00pm
Tues: 8:00am - 7:00pm
Wed: 8:00am - 7:00pm
Thu: 8:00am - 7:00pm
Fri: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Sat: 9:00am - 3:00pm
Sun: Private Pilates & Classes Only
9140 Leslie Street, Unit 107
Richmond Hill, ON